- 12T (1½ sticks) salted butter
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk or 1¼ c whole milk
- 1¼ c. light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 ½ t. dark vanilla extract
- 3 c. sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- ¼ t. teaspoon salt
- Toast pecans for 8-9 minutes in 350°F oven; when cooled to touch - chop to itty bitty bits.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the milk, brown sugar, and egg yolks; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Off the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, coconut, pecans, and salt.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour; frosting will continue to thicken over time.
- Frost the cupcakes with a knife or small metal spatula.
Hot tip: If the frosting is consistently not thick enough to your liking, consider reducing the amount of milk...but don't go less than 6 ounces.
Adapted from: FoodNetwork.com, Ina Garten.