- 2 c. flour, all-purpose
- 2 t. baking soda
- 3 t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- 2 ½ t. cinnamon
- ⅛ t. ground allspice
- ⅛ t. ground cloves
- ⅛ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ c. applesauce, unsweetened
- ¾ c. oil
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs, large
- 2 c. canned pumpkin
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 c. walnuts or pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake rounds with non-stick cooking spray or line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg) in medium bowl; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat together applesauce, oil, and sugar until well blended. Add vanilla and pumpkin.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add nuts.
- Batter is thick. Divide evenly among 8" rounds or fill cupcake tin 3/4 full - use an ice cream scoop.
- Bake cakes approx. 30-34 minutes; bake cupcakes approx. 20-23 minutes.
- Cool cake rounds for 10 minutes before removing cake to cooling rack; remove cupcakes after allowing to cool 4-5 minutes.
- Frost when completely cool - Cream Cheese recommended.
Hot tip: If you don't have all those individual spices - just add 2-3 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie seasoning - it'll have the same yummy taste.
Adapted from: allrecipes.com