Yield: Approx. 4 cups; enough to frost double-layer 8"round cake or 24 cupcakes with average sz swirl
- 2 sticks butter, salted, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar (1 lb.)
- 1T vanilla extract, clear
- 1T whole milk
- Cream butter in a stand mixer (at least 4 minutes).
- Add about 1 c. powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla, mix well.
- Add remaining powdered sugar. Mix on med high until smooth and puffy (approx 6 minutes).
- Add milk to desired consistency and taste.
- If adding color...do that now.
Hot tip: Margarine is not a very good substitute. Vegetable shortening is a doable substitute for half the butter - the flavor is different and careful if adding coloring.