- 3 c. cake flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 c. salted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla extract, clear
- 1 t. almond extract
- 1 c. buttermilk, cherry flavored*
- 1 ½ c. fresh cherries, pitted, quartered
- 2 T red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake rounds with non-stick cooking spray or line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) in medium bowl; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream butter, add sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beat thoroughly after each addition then beat until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, mix well.
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk. Mix, until just combined.
- Stir in food coloring then cherries.
- Divide evenly among 8" rounds or fill cupcake tin 3/4 full - use an ice cream scoop.
- Bake cakes approx. 37- 42 minutes; bake cupcakes approx. 25 minutes.
- Cool cake rounds for 10 minutes before removing cake to cooling rack; remove cupcakes after allowing to cool 4-5 minutes.
- Batter does not rise significantly.
- Frost with Cherry Buttercream when completely cool.
*Substitute: 8 oz. cherry yogurt - batter will be thicker. Add 10 minutes to baking time.