Yield: Approx. 5 cups; enough to fill and frost double-layer 8"round cake or 26 cupcakes with average sz swirl
- 2 sticks butter, salted, softened
- 5-6 c. powdered sugar (1 lb.)
- 1t t. almond extract
- 5T maraschino cherry juice
- 1T heavy whipping cream or 2T whole milk
- Cream butter in a stand mixer (at least 4 minutes).
- Add about 1 c. powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add almond extract and cherry juice, mix well.
- Add remaining powdered sugar. Mix on med high until smooth and puffy (approx 6 minutes).
- Add milk to desired consistency and taste.
- If adding color...do that now.
Hot tip: Margarine is not a very good substitute. Lard is a doable substitute for half the butter - the flavor is different and careful if adding coloring.
Adapted from http://www.caramelpotatoes.com