- 2 ⅔ c. cake flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 ½ t. baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 4 t. vanilla extract, clear
- 1 c. oil
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped (not too course, not too fine)
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Prepare cake pans with non-stick spray or cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In medium sized mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar – beat thoroughly until smooth. Add oil and vanilla – beat on high until frothy.
- Alternating…add flour mix and buttermilk; set mixer to low.
- Batter will be thin.
- Divide batter among cake pans or fill cupcakes ⅔ full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes; cupcakes 15-17 minutes.
- Cool completely. Frost with luscious Vanilla Buttercream.
Hot tip: When filling cupcakes with this batter, first pour batter into a measuring cup with a spout then fill each cupcake...this reduces drips and mess and puts more yummy goodness in the pan and not on the counter.
Hot Tip: This doesn't lend itself to substituting half of the oil with applesauce - some of the sparkly vanilla flavor is lost. The cake turns out wonderfully, but the flavor is diminished a wee bit.