9" double-layer round cake
- 2 ¼ c. flour, all purpose
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. vegetable shortening, solid
- 2 eggs, separated (whites whipped until stiff)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. vanilla extract, dark
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake rounds with non-stick cooking spray or line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in medium bowl; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream sugar and shortening until smooth. Add egg yolks one at a time, beat thoroughly after each addition then beat until fluffy.
- Add bananas; mix well. Add vanilla.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk...science!
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk to sugar/banana mix, ending w/dry ingredients. Mix well, just until combined.
- Gently fold stiff egg whites into batter.
- Divide evenly among prepared pans or fill cupcake tin 3/4 full - use an ice cream scoop.
- Bake cakes approx. 32-36 minutes for 6" rounds, 40 minutes for 9" rounds; and cupcakes approx. 22-25 minutes.
- Cool cake rounds for 10 minutes before removing cake to cooling rack; remove cupcakes after allowing to cool 4-5 minutes.
- Batter does not rise significantly.
- Frost when completely cool.
*Adapted from: Food Network.