Yield: double-layer, 8" or 9" round cake or approx. 24 cupcakes
- 2 ½ c. cake flour
- 1 c. milk, room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 t. almond extract
- 2 t. vanilla extract, clear
- 1 ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 4 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 ½ sticks softened butter, salted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake rounds with non-stick cooking spray or line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners (approx. 24).
- Make sure milk and eggs are room temperature.
- Pour milk, egg whites, and extracts into medium bowl and mix with fork until blended.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter, cut into cubes and continue beating on low for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and hand stir until barely integrated.
- Pour batter evenly between two prepared cake pans or cupcakes to 2/3 full
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 27 to 30 minutes or 20-23 minutes for cupcakes.
- Turn out cakes or remove cupcakes after 10 minutes; allow cake to cool to room temperature.
- Frost cakes with favorite frosting.
Adapted slightly from iambaker.net