Yield: Enough to frost triple-layer 8"round cake or 36 cupcakes with average sz swirl
- 3 oz (3/4 stick) butter, salted, softened
- 8 oz brick of cream cheese, cold
- 5-6 c. powdered sugar (1½ lbs.)
- 1 t. vanilla extract, clear
- Cream butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer (at least 4 minutes).
- Add about 2 c. powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla, mix well.
- Add remaining powdered sugar to desired consistency. Mix on med high until smooth and puffy (approx 6 minutes).
- Add milk to desired consistency and taste.
- If adding color...do that now.
Hot tip: Margarine is not a very good substitute. Lard is a doable substitute for half the butter - the flavor is different and careful if adding coloring.