Yield: double-layer, 8" or 9" round cake, or approx 26 to 30 cupcakes
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. Hershey's Cocoa Special Dark
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- 1 ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk or buttermilk
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 t. vanilla extract, dark
- 1 c. boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake pans with non-stick cooking spray or cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- For rounds, bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. For cupcakes, fill cups ⅔ full and bake 22 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely. Frost.
Hot tip: To save on clean-up, pour half the batter into a 4 c. measuring cup (or something large with a spout), pour into cupcake liners. This helps reduce wasted batter on drips and improve size uniformity. Pour the remaining batter into the measuring cup for additional filling and baking.
Notes: I prefer using buttermilk and always add the yogurt if I have it on hand.